How to Block Websites on Computer
Many reasons would make one want to block a website. You may want to protect your children against certain explicit content, and some sites spread viruses while others try to steal personal data. No matter the reason, the process is more comfortable than what most people think. However, not many people know how to block websites on the computer. The majority of browsers allow you to block specific websites easily.
How to block websites on windows PC
- 1Ensure you have administrator access on your PC, then sign in using the administrator account. Open windows explorer, then navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
- 2The next step is to double-click on a file named 'hosts' and select Notepad from the programs' list. The host file should read "127.0.0.1 localhost" and "::1 localhost" on the last two lines.
- 3You can now add the addresses of the websites you want to block at the end of this file. This is achieved by adding a line at the end of the file. To do this, place the cursor at the end of the last line with 127.0.0.1, then press enter to create a new line.
- 4Type 127.0.0.1 and then the name of the site you wish to block.
- 5To continue adding sites you wish to block, type the name of the sites prefaced with 127.0.0.1 and space.
- 6For the changes to take effect, close the hosts file, then click Save. Then, reboot the PC, and the sites will be blocked.
This is a simple way of how to block websites on computers using the Windows operating system.
How to block websites on mac
- 1The first step is to open the terminal. You can find this under /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. This is done to ensure one has administrative access to the MAC.
- 2Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" on the command line. This is the hosts file command. When asked, enter the login password. This confirms your identity and opens the hosts file.
- 3Create a new line in the host file, then type the name of the website you want to block in a new line in this format "127.0.0.1 www.blockedwebsite.com". In cases where you want to block multiple sites, each URL must be on its line.
- 4After entering the sites you want to block, hold Control + "O" to save the host database changes. The final step is to key in the command sudo dscacheutil -flushcache and press Enter or restart your machine. This is flushing the DNS, which refreshes the websites' browsers' memories, ensuring that the websites are blocked.
How to block websites on computer individual browsers
Mozilla Firefox - Block Websites
- 1Start Mozilla Firefox on your computer. There are many extensions available that one can install to block websites on Mozilla Firefox.
- 2Click on the menu button then select Add-ons.
- 3Click on the get add-ons tab on the left side of the screen to display featured add-ons.
- 4At the bottom of the page, click on see more add-ons. From here, you can search all available extensions that allow you to block websites, for example, Block site.
- 5Click on the "add to Firefox" then "install" to add the browser extension. Restart the browser after the installation process is complete.
- 6Return to the extension section on the add-ons tab and click the “options” button next to blocksite.
- 7It is advisable to set up a password to prevent anyone from accessing the Block site settings. Check on the enable authentication box.
- 8On the blacklist option, add all the sites you want to be blocked. On the whitelist options, all websites are blocked except the added ones.
- 9Click on the add button, then type the websites to add them to the whitelist or blacklist, depending on your settings.
Google Chrome - Block Websites
There isn't a built-in feature to block websites in Google Chrome. You can, however, install some third-party extensions that can help in blocking websites. An example is Web Nanny.
- 1On the chrome web store, search Web Nanny using the following URL
- 2Click on “add to chrome” to install the extension. After installation, its icon appears to the right of the address bar.
- 3Click on the icon, then select “options” from the menu.
- 4The next step is to type the URLs of the sites you want to be blocked.
- 5From there, click save. From then onwards, any attempt to access the particular websites displays an error message.
Safari browser - Block Websites
You can block websites on a Safari browser using a website blocker app called Appcrypt.
- 1The first step is to install and launch Appcrypt
- 2The app will ask you to set a password for blocking websites as well as locking apps.
- 3After entering the password, click the “webBlock” button, which pops up a window showing the blacklist and whitelist website.
- 4Choose “Blacklist” and click “+” to add URLs of the website you want to be blocked.
Internet Explorer - Block Websites
- 1Open windows explorer and go to tools then internet options on the drop-down menu.
- 2Go to the “content” tab on the internet options dialog page, then click on the “Enable” button under “content advisor”.
- 3On the "approved sites" tab, type the URL of the site you want to be blocked and click on the "never" button.
- 4The website's name will then appear in a bigger box with a red mark indicating that the site is blocked.
- 5On the "General" tab, you can set the password so that users can visit the restricted websites by typing the password. This is done by checking the box next to "Supervisor can type a password to allow users to view restricted content".
mSpy: The Best Mobile Monitoring Tool
If you are looking for the best hacking tool, then mSpy is the app for you.
One of the tool's significant pros is monitoring a smartphone from your smartphone with the application. You can use the application to hack and Android devices, including Sony, Huawei, HTC, Samsung, google nexus, LG, and Lenovo. You can also use it to hack iPhones. That's not all, and you can also monitor browser history and view all the saved bookmarks.
In matters concerning how to block websites on a computer, above are some of the methods you can use. One can use many more ways to block websites according to your preference and the process's complexity.