How to Block Unwanted Sites From Your Router
If you want to restrict access to certain websites in your home or workplace, then updating the router settings is the best option. After when you perform router blocking websites, all the devices connected to the same network cannot access the blocked websites. It is the easiest way to block certain unwanted websites. In this post, we will teach you how to perform router blocking websites for different brands.
Why do we like to block websites from our router?
There could be different reasons for blocking websites from the router. Since it is pretty convenient, the technique is followed by lots of users.
- Mostly, companies do router blocking websites to make sure their employees cannot access certain websites in the workplace.
- There are times when freely available network admin also follows this technique to misuse the public Wifi.
- Parents also block access to inappropriate websites on the home network. Blocking websites ensures that their kids don’t get exposed to explicit content at an early age.
- Schools and universities also do the same to protect their students from inappropriate content or violate public networks.
How to block unwanted sites from router?
To do router blocking websites, you need to log-in to your router’s settings. The common IP addresses for routers are 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.50.1, and 10.0.0.1. Make sure you type “HTTP://” before them. To make things easier for you, we have provided stepwise solutions for common router brands.
- 1Firstly, log-in to Netgear’s local configuration page with the admin credentials.
- 2Afterward, go to its Advanced Settings. Under the Security tab, click on the “Block Sites” option.
- 3Here, you can block any website by providing its URL or based on specific keywords.
- 4Apply your changes and log-out from the interface.
- 1To start with, go to D-link’s configuration website and log-in with your admin ID and password.
- 2Visit the Advanced Settings tab and click on the option of “Website Filter” from the left panel.
- 3Provide the URLs of the websites that you wish to block, and make sure that you have selected the option of “Deny computer’s access to only these websites” under the Website Filter feature.
- 4Additionally, you can go to the Access Control panel, enable it, and set up the policy for the website filter you have just created.
- 1Go to the TP-Link configuration page and log-in with the admin password.
- 2After that, visit the Access Control Host section and click on the “Add New” button.
- 3Here, you can provide the host description and the IP address range that you wish to define.
- 4Once you have saved these changes, go to the Target section and click on the “Add New” option again.
- 5Provide the domain name and specify the keywords or URLs that you wish to block.
- 6After saving these changes, you can go to the Access Control Rule Management and Deny the specified packets. Apply these changes and log out of the interface.
- 1Like other router brands, to perform router blocking websites on Linksys, you need to go to its local configuration page and log in with your credentials.
- 2Now, go to the Configuration section and select the Content Filter's option listed under Firewall on the left panel.
- 3Here, you need to check the option of “Enable Block Forbidden Domains”.
- 4Furthermore, you can specify the keywords or URLs of the websites that you wish to block right here.
- 5After saving these changes, you can also set a schedule for the blocking list to work. You can either select a time duration or put it to “always” as well.
- 6In the end, you can save your changes and log out from the settings interface.
Besides visiting the router configuration page, you can also use Open DNS to do router blocking websites. Since this technique works for every kind of router, you can easily use it no matter which network you have. To do router blocking websites using Open DNS, follow these steps:
- 1To begin with, you need to go to Control Panel and visit the Adapter Settings. Select the router network you are using and go to its Properties.
- 2Select the IPV4 option and visit its advanced properties.
- 3Under the General tab, you can change the DNS server address. The preferred DNS server address should be “220.127.116.11” whereas the alternate DNS server should be “18.104.22.168”.
- 4Great! You are almost there. You can now go to the official website of Open DNS right here and create your new account.
- 5After creating your account, you can log in and select the network that you wish to manage.
- 6From its Content Filtering settings, you can select the kind of security level you wish to implement. This can automatically do router blocking websites.
- 7You can also block websites manually by visiting the “Manage individual domains” section and specifying the URL of the website you wish to block.
Track any device remotely with mSpy
Now when you know how to do router blocking websites differently, you can easily create a healthy environment in your home. Nevertheless, your kids can have access to inappropriate content outside or by using their mobile data. In this case, you can use a spying tool to track the activity on their mobile phones. We recommend using mSpy as a highly reliable device tracking solution with tons of features. After installing it on the target device, you can access the entire browsing history remotely.
- mSpy is a complete device tracking tool that can help you access its call logs, messages, notes, search history, browser history, and more.
- You can also obtain its real-time location, perform social media monitoring, listen to their calls, etc.
- It has a Control Panel app that can help you track the device remotely.
- The tool runs in a stealth mode and won’t be detected by the user.
- Compatible with every major version of Android and iOS
After performing these simple steps, you would be able to do router blocking websites easily. Additionally, you can take the assistance of mSpy to track a device remotely and that too without being detected. Feel free to implement these solutions and let us know if you face any setbacks in between.